Proverbs 3:11-12 (NIV)
My son, do not despise the Lord’s discipline,
and do not resent his rebuke,
because the Lord disciplines those he loves,
as a father the son he delights in
Proverbs 3:11-12 (KJV)
My son, despise not the chastening of the Lord; neither be weary of his correction:
For whom the Lord loveth he correcteth; even as a father the son in whom he delighteth.
1 the practice of training people to obey rules or a code of behavior, using punishment to correct disobedience: a lack of proper parental and school discipline.
• the controlled behavior resulting from such training: he was able to maintain discipline among his men.
• activity or experience that provides mental or physical training: the tariqa offered spiritual discipline | Kung fu is a discipline open to old and young.
• a system of rules of conduct: he doesn’t have to submit to normal disciplines.
2 a branch of knowledge, typically one studied in higher education: sociology is a fairly new discipline.
verb [ with obj. ]
train (someone) to obey rules or a code of behavior, using punishment to correct disobedience: many parents have been afraid to discipline their children.
• punish or rebuke (someone) formally for an offense: a member of the staff was to be disciplined by management.
• (discipline oneself to do something) train oneself to do something in a controlled and habitual way: every month discipline yourself to go through the file.
The word discipline really stood out to me, mostly because of all the times I watched The Avengers this weekend. When I think of discipline I can’t help but think of the Hulk. Arn’t we all like the Hulk, just big rage monsters leaving a mess wherever we go. Everyone knows were we have been, by the mess we left behind, our uncontrollable mess. What is great about the Hulk is that he has enormous power, just like us all, but he doesn’t know how to control the power that he has been given. Bruce Banner trys to avoid having the Hulk come out because it is to dangerous. At the end of the Avengers movie, Bruce finally learns how to control the Hulk, He disciplines himself to control it, and ends up helping save the day.
The power God gives us, is greater than that of the Hulk. That’s right, with God we are stronger than the Hulk. To often though, we are undisciplined, and end up doing damage to others, we can’t control ourselves. Sometimes we do damage without even realizing what we are doing, sometimes we even do damage on purpose! We are big green monsters, just like the devil wants us to be. But God wants to discipline us, He wants to use this power that we have to do good. He wants to use us to better server His kingdom. Without God’s discipline though, we are just like the Hulk.
The Lord does not discipline because He is angry at us, or because He hates us, instead He disciplines us because He loves us. He wants us to live to our fullest. He sees the potential in us, and brings it to it’s fullest. Yes life is going to be tough, but it’s during these hard times that the Lord is disciplining us to be able to control the Hulk within us so that we are prepared to serve Him best. He uses our gamma radiation (For those that don’t know, gamma radiation is what gave Bruce Banner the Hulk; Sin; tough times) and turns it into something that we can use and control.
Let the Lord discipline you, accept the hardships and work at becoming closer to Him. When we put our hearts in God, we become the controllable Hulk.
- Parenting (trinityfamilyministries.wordpress.com)
- A Bible Verse on Discipline (familymatterswithamber.com)
- God the instructor (gemsofgodsgrace.wordpress.com)
- The Purpose of Proverbs: Proverbs 1:1-7 (mindfulconsideration.wordpress.com)
- Mark Ruffalo ‘The Hulk’ talks Avengers movie (mix965houston.cbslocal.com)